Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Sun Is Shining


It happens just look at the picture below.



I went to visit Castletown Saturday and I took the steam train to make the trip more memorable, it goes from Douglas to the south of the island. The train is well preserved, the coaches are all made of wood and you get the feeling that you are back in the golden age of railway. The train will give you the opportunity to admire the great landscapes of the island, the fields with their stone walls form a green puzzle. You will see rabbits jumping around here and there, they roam freely because they are not hunted on the island. I find it funny that the locals prefer buying some rabbit meat in the shop instead of enjoying the great taste of those who have grown up outdoors. I wouldn’t even ask the question if I were to live on the island, I would enjoy a rabbit stew quite often.



Castletown is a nice little town where there is absolutely nothing to do outside of visiting the castle and going to the pub. There is a small market where one can find local products but there was only one person selling when I got there a 2 P.M. There is only one place where you can have lunch at such a time: the pub. I found out that the Premier League football games are played on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I had lunch in a loud football atmosphere surrounded by fans sometimes happy and sometimes angry by what there team was doing. I love football so much that I was in heaven, next time I will have lunch earlier.



I tried the electric train on Sunday, it goes to the north of the island and at the top of the Snaefell the highest point on the island. I got to ride on that old train completely made of wood and I could hear the wood working as the train was moving. The ride up to the Snaefell offered quite a view it was a real pleasure. Once at the top the view was even more amazing but I didn’t stay too long, the wind was strong and I was quite cold. It is possible to hike all the way to the top or only for a part of it, it is not very difficult; I would I have probably tried it if the weather was not changing all the time.
Next week-end I will go spend a day in Liverpool.


No comments:

Post a Comment