Friday, February 5, 2010

Volley Ball


I have now been playing volley ball after work for a week now, it is one of my favourite sports. Here you play barefoot on a concrete court, I can tell you that in the start it was difficult. The way you feel the ground is totally different and you don’t have the little cushion the shoes provide when you fall after your jump. I have to be careful not to hurt myself, 2 years ago a colleague of mine hurt is Achilles heel while playing basketball and I replaced him in Tahiti.



Every evening roughly 20 young meet on the court to play volley ball, they play 3 against 3 or 4 against 4 depending on how many they are. I still don’t know how much you need to win a gain because very few speak English. They usually play till dusk then its spike the ball time. This week they invited me to join them after volley ball, they spend the evening in one of the many buildings that can be found on the island: it’s a like an open field but covered with a very low roof. They call those maneaba and explained that after having diner at home they meet there to spend the night, their home is boring so they prefer being together. Those kinds of shelter can be used by anyone, they are often dedicated to meetings in the week-end. This week I taught them how to play the Uno card game, it is great fun when we are more than ten to play the game. Tonight I will go to a dance with them, it will be interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment