Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Art Of Wasting Time


Today I wanted to tell you the reason why I have only been once to the beach since I have been here but it will wait because yesterday my colleague and I were thrown out of our hotel. I have been staying there for a month now and was supposed to stay there for at least another one but it seems that having a reservation doesn’t mean anything in this place.



In the morning my colleague received a phone call from someone at our hotel saying that we were supposed to check out at twelve. After trying to discuss with the woman he came to see me so that I would explain to her that the company we are working for made reservation in the hotel for the duration of our stay. I told her that I wouldn’t checkout because my room was booked for 2 months and my colleague room was booked for a month. She seemed to understand. Two hours later, she called back saying that one of us could stay till Thursday and one of us had to come to checkout now. We went back to the hotel to discuss with the management, they only thing they could to us was: sorrrrrry but you have to leave. I called someone with a high position in the company and asked him to solve the problem. We waited for him quite a while and when he finally came the only thing he could say was that there was a miscommunication between the hotel and the person making the reservation in their office. We expected him to come and tell them that it was their mistake and that we would not stay, we were quite disappointed. The person who made the reservation couldn’t be reached for more explanation because she had taken a leave and her mobile phone was off. We indeed had to move. I have been staying in this hotel for a month now and they couldn’t find the time to let me know that I was supposed to leave on February the 16th that is rich!



There are very few hotels on the island, the one we were staying was very convenient because it is a five minutes walk from the work. Also it has a restaurant where we can have dinner, there aren’t a lot of restaurants on the island and even less open in the evening. It is also very close to the stadium where I play volleyball. I usually find a good thing in any bad situation I find myself in but in this case I can’t find any. We have now moved to another hotel which is 30 minutes away from work, the drive should normally be 10 minutes but the road has so many holes that you can’t drive fast: it’s a little bit like riding a rollercoaster without the speed. The new hotel is of course more expensive than the last one and doesn’t even offer better services. If I want to continue playing volleyball everyday afterwork I will need to get organised but with the way work is going (I will talk about it in a week or two) it will be challenge. In all we have lost a half day of work just because the hotel people are too stupid to warn me. It seems I have a problem with hotels lately, what do you think?
I like this place, I like this place, I like this place... If I repeat it enough times it becomes true!

No comments:

Post a Comment