Friday, May 15, 2009

See Easter Island And Never Leave!


It seems that Easter Island has a special attraction on its visitors and more particularly its female visitors. While looking for souvenirs to bring back, I met a girl who was speaking French. She explained to me that she was in charge of her aunts booth while her boyfriend was gone fishing the evening meal. As we were talking she told me that her aunt was in fact her boyfriend’s aunt and that she has left Chile to come live with him on the island.



A year earlier she came to the island on holydays where she met him, they instantly clicked and never left each other during her stay. Once back in Chile, he was calling her everyday to ask her to come live with him; after a while he got to her and she finally accepted his invitation (he even paid the plane ticket because she didn’t have the money). She has been living with his family ever since, of course it was very hard for her family to understand: would you let your 24 year old daughter leave home to go live with a stranger on an island? 4 months ago, her father told her that she was banned from home as long as she wasn’t married; she now has very little contact with her family. It seems that this is quite a common story on the island. She didn't really want to get married right away and was not thinking about having kids, she was living her love story as simply as possible without asking too many questions. For her, life was easy and she wasn't thinking at all about complex western relationships. To be in a world where human relationships are not ruled by fake pretence must be quite soothing.



In the evening, we went to the traditional dance ballet KariKari, it was a real pleasure to see that the ballet had changed and that the dancers were just not reproducing the same old thing over and over again. When looking at the dancers expressions you could feel how much they liked to be where they were and do what they were doing, it was quite remarkable.



After the show, we made a pisco stop at the Te Moana bar, the alcohol is a perfect mix with guava juice even if the waitress doesn’t think so. When she understood that I wanted to mix the 2 liquids she looked at me like I was totally crazy; on this island you only mix the pisco with a soft drink. To conclude the evening, we went to the Topa Tangi where a live band will play the local dance floor hits. The ballet dancers made a quick show before changing their costume for everyday clothes and go break hearts among the mainly female audience. On Rapa-Nui there is more female than male so women will not wait to be asked to dance, they will choose the one they like and will ask him to dance with them for a song or for the night. Rapa-Nui women are very careful of their men acquaintances, they are known to be very jealous. We danced a lot, then once the place closed some women asked us to come with them to a new club that just opened, we declined because at such a time our bed seemed more tempting than a room full of sweating people.



Walking back to the hotel, we were followed by a pack of dogs, this happened to us a few times before, they seem to be only following foreigners. This time they followed us inside our hotel even though we carefully closed the gates. As we were inside our bungalow I heard a bump on the door, I discovered 4 dogs staying in front of the door as I opened it. I tried to move one with my foot (I didn’t want to get bitten while trying to catch it) hoping they would get the message but 2 minutes later I heard one of them barking. This pack of dog is always led by a female which is being followed by the males which try to fuck her and she barks when they try. That female was following the foreigners, I had to get rid of her to get rid of the pack! I went out of the bungalow, grabbed a chair and started grinding it on the floor so that the dog would understand. I ran after the female, always getting her out of the different places she was trying to hide until she went to a dark place, I had to stop running after her because I couldn’t see a black dog in a dark place. I decided to start running after the other dogs holding the chair high above my head but those bastards run very fast. In the end, I caught no dogs but there was no disturbance for the rest of the night. I always have great stories when I come back from this island, it truly is a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment