Friday, February 17, 2012

The Week-end


What is the recipe for an excellent week-end? You have to spend time with people you love, you have to do something outdoors, you have to meet new people and you have to learn something you.



Waking up on Saturday morning was tough. It was quite a while since I last woke up with an aftertaste in the mouth. Two friends had come for a drink the evening before, we finished late and ended up drinking a lot. I had scheduled a dive at 7:30 AM, I was following a training allowing me to dive as deep as 40 meters under supervision. I had slept enough to be in a good shape but that weird aftertaste in the mouth just wouldn’t go. I was lucky to be on a boat with divers who had full autonomy under water, we had to wait for them to finish their dive to start ours so that gave me time to drink enough water to get rid of that aftertaste. For my training I had to repeat the same exercises at different depth. I had to be able to jump from the boat and meet my instructor and fellow divers 3 meters below the water level without stopping to check my equipment on the surface. I had to remove my mask underwater, put it back on and empty it from any water to be able to see clearly again. From time to time I had to give some air to one of the divers faking he didn’t have air anymore. The most important one was to be able to stay at the same depth by achieving neutral buoyancy during the decompression phase without using the swimfins. The dive went pretty well, I was quite at ease underwater even when I had to completely remove my mask, put it back and empty it (I used to hate that). I still have 2 dives left to conclude my training.



On Saturday I went to a party in a nice house with a great swimming pool. The house guest was living alone in that place that could have easily accommodated a large family. One of the girls at my place the day before had invited me, I met some interesting people and had a lot of fun. When there is a swimming pool at a party one can be sure that someone is going to end up in it at one point. We played Uno Sport in the swimming pool, it is like the Uno but the cards are made of plastic so that they can be used almost anywhere. Here we were in the swimming pool at 11 PM, there was not enough light around the pool so we used headlamps to light the floating tray where the cards were. Some of the girls were cold in the water they were wriggling all the time and the boys were going in and out of the water the same way a piston would. The intermission of the party came when champagne was served; the second part of the party then started when everyone started playing tarot. I was back at my place at 5:45 AM, it was a very long time since I had played cards all night long.



I received a short message at 8:25 AM, a friend was telling me that he would be late and would be picking me up at 8:45 AM. We were supposed to meet at 9:00 AM to go to a rope course. I jumped out of the bed, brushed my teeth, went to the kitchen to put a bowl of milk in the microwave, opened the fridge to grab anything I had that could be used to make sandwiches and threw all that in my backpack as well as something to drink and some plastic glasses. I had eaten half of my croissant when I heard is 4x4 coming in the alley leading to my place. I finished the croissant with one bite, drank the remainder of the milk, checked I had everything I needed in my backpack and left. We went to meet two more friends before heading to the rope course park, I was so tired that I felt asleep in the car. Still I was fresh enough during the 2 rope courses available for adults. We spent 3 hours in the park and enjoyed every minutes. We then looked for a quite to have a picnic and headed to a black sand beach once our bellies were filled to spend the afternoon.



The friend who had picked me at my place had brought a kite and showed us how to use it on the beach. I had always seen kite flying as something not very interesting and quite boring but that quickly changed when my turn to fly the kite came. I think I must have scared a few beachgoers who must have thought that the kite would end up falling on their head. With my experience I had the kite fly close to the heads of a few people but thankfully each time I lost control the kite crashed where there was no one. After a few attempts I managed to have the kite fly from left to right and from right to left at different speed. I was astonished by the way I would feel the actual speed of the kite. I would sometime brace myself in the sand to make sure the kite would not make me lose my balance. I discovered kite flying thanks to the same person who introduced me to boomerang throwing, I am extremely thankful to him for that.



I fell like a log in my bed once I was back to my place. The alarm on my phone didn’t even ring on Monday morning allowing me to sleep one extra hour, it seems like I really needed to rest.
I have a hard time writing these days so you won’t read me for a short while but don’t worry I will be back. Enjoy your week-end.

No comments:

Post a Comment