Friday, September 16, 2011

The Trip


It is always an adventure to take the plane, the airport is a place where you will live as many great moments as unpleasant ones and most of all you will meet a lot of different people.



I went to the terminal 2C of the Paris Charles de Gaulle airport to catch my flight to Kinshasa. This terminal is a special place for me because this is where you will take flights to go to Africa, so this place is a little part of Africa. You will see people argue as they would in the street, some other will ask you where you are travelling to and ask you to take something for them if you are travelling to the country they are interested in, businessmen running here and there...
In all the airports in the world, there will always be those who don’t want to queue whether they be in economic class, in business class or in first class. It is even funnier in the case of the business or first class because in those cases the queues are always extremely short but they are always too long for someone. An Air France employee was stationed at the entrance of the check-in zone for the business and first class travellers. She was checking that no one was in the wrong zone and was also recording the plane ticket numbers. She left for a few minutes to accompany a guy walking with crutches to the check-in booth. As I was the next in the line I waited for her to come back so she could record my ticket number. The wait was definitely too long for 2 guys who rushed passed me asking why I was waiting but not waiting for the answer. I was about to go grab them by the collar and bring them back to the line but I didn’t because I know I can be quite rough with stupid people.


This a behaviour I really don’t understand and don’t like at all, I think that people tend to enjoy too much the small privileges that their work or their way of life will provide and they will not be able to behave normally when the smallest inconvenience will occur. I am lucky enough to be a priority flyer and to never have to queue for check-in or boarding but I never complain when I have to wait. It seems that those guys are in a hurry to wait for the boarding in the lounge. I get to the airport as late as allowed to because waiting in the main room or in the lounge is the same for me and I’d rather wait at home.
I always travel economic class but was bumped to business. The guy to my left started complaining to the stewart as lunch was being served because the dish he wanted was no longer available (there was a choice of 4 main course). “I travel a lot and in the other air companies we are asked what we shall it in advance, this way everyone gets what he wants”. This doesn’t change the fact that each dish is available in limited number but it seems that it is more satisfying for him. It is probably because he always managed to get what he wanted before not thinking that maybe someone else didn’t get the dish he/she wanted. The stewart apologized a few times and said that it was only done in first class. “This is the only company in the world like this”. I was about to interrupt the argument but didn’t. If you get the choice between 4 different main courses and still find a way to complain there is not much that can be done for you. Do people become assholes when they spend too much time in planes and hotel rooms? Do I have to be worried?

No comments:

Post a Comment