Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Can’t Dive!


I went scuba diving this Sunday in Malta waters and I can tell you it wasn’t that easy.



I found a diving centre at a walking distance from my hotel. Up until now I have always been scuba diving in French speaking countries, the equipment size is always the same but that was not the case this time. I had to adapt to what was available, It is important because the quality of the dive also depends on you choosing the right things to wear. There was no ride on a boat with the gear before jumping in the water, here you hop in a pickup truck with the gear in the back and go for a ride. We went to Valletta and stopped on the bank at the far end of the city, we put all the gear on shore before going in the water. You start with the boots, the suit and the stabilization vest fitted with the full air tank, you then step down the stairs that lead to the shore with your fins and mask in one hand. The sun is so strong that you feel like running into the water but you make sure you start wearing the gear when everyone is ready.



Once in the water I put on my mask as well as the fins and we would meet underwater as soon as everyone would be ready. I just couldn’t go under, my stab vest was completely empty of air but my head was still above the water. I acted like snorkelers who want to go under, my head was facing the bottom on the ocean and my feet where in the air. This allowed me to go down to where my diving buddies were but as soon as I stopped moving my legs and tried to stabilize myself I would go up like oil in water. I tried 3 times and was still unsuccessful, the diving instructor came up and asked me how many extra kilos I had with me; I had 2kg because that was the weight I was taking each time I would dive with a full suit in La Reunion but the Indian Ocean is not the Mediterranean Sea. The instructor gave me his car keys and I had the pleasure of getting out of the water with everything on and walking back to the car to get 6 extra kilos. I wanted to hurry up the stairs to get them but it would tire me and I would then breathe too much underwater. I grabbed 3 weights, put them in my right pocket and slowly went back down the stairs.



I almost drowned when I went back in the water because I had forgotten to inflate my vest before jumping back in the water and I was much more heavy. After inflating my vest I just couldn’t stay on my back to properly put my mask and the fins; I had 3 weight in my right pocket and only a new diving case for my digital camera in the left pocket, I didn’t want to put some weight in the right pocket to avoid damaging the box but I quickly changed my mind. I finished equipping myself as soon as the weight was even and I went under quite easily. Next time I go scuba diving I will wear a shorty and have 4kg with me, this way I will be sure to sink like a stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment